After its first year in T&T, iQor's new contact centre sees phenomenal growth, creating nearly 450 seats.
iQor needed to facilitate the expansion requirements of one of its existing clients (a well-known telecoms brand) by adding a new contact centre to its existing global footprint. The company’s strategy was to do this from a suitable nearshore location. iQor also sought a competitive labour cost and a business-friendly environment which would allow them to implement a performance-based employee management system. iQor was given a deadline for start-up of new operations by September 2015.
Key achievements in T&T
- Expansion of service– After its first year of operation, iQor now serves two major telecom providers from its Trinidad office
- US $7 million investment – Initial investment valued at US $4Mn with reinvestment within the 1st year approximating US$3Mn
- 450 jobs created in 1st year of operation
- Anchor tenant – at largest science and technology park in the Caribbean, the Tamana InTech Park
Introduction to company
iQor is a Florida based global business outsourcing company with 40,000 employees. It is the world’s largest product support services company with a network that spans 66 countries, 5 continents, 22 time zones and 4.5 billion people. iQor Trinidad was established in September 2015 to offer customer interaction and business process outsourcing services. iQor currently operates an inbound contact centre at Tamana InTech Park, on the eastern side of Trinidad.
“We’re not just looking to give people jobs. We really want to give people careers at iQor – iQor Executive.
“InvesTT has been an excellent support in every way by facilitating the set-up of iQor Trinidad Limited. They have gone above and beyond to ensure the success of this venture.” - Manager Operations, Bernard St. Louis
Tamana InTech Park - A Sensible Choice
Tamana InTech Park is positioned to serve as the Information Technology capital of the Caribbean, complete with a technology university under construction within the park. Of particular importance to iQor’s expansion strategy was the ability to operate outside of major city centres to facilitate easy access for its employees. The park offered a decentralized solution to iQor’s labour pool which is sourced from the northern and eastern parts of Trinidad.
Based on the request from their client for a nearshore location, iQor’s executives surveyed the Latin American and Caribbean region and reached out to several IPAs, including InvesTT. After multiple site visits facilitated free of charge by InvesTT, iQor concluded that Tamana InTech Park was its best option.
The service company leadership received from InvesTT was at first world standard, which they appreciated. The agency was thorough in its responses to requests for information relevant to iQor’s investment and once iQor decided to locate in Trinidad, the IPA made the process of establishing the business as easy as possible.
In July 2015, iQor signed its first lease for 14,000 square feet of space at the 2nd floor of the Flagship Building, Tamana InTech Park. On September 8th 2015, iQor opened its first contact centre in the Caribbean in T&T.
InvesTT’s role went far beyond iQor’s decision to locate at Tamana InTech Park. Once the lease was signed, the company had little under two months to become operational if it was to satisfy the requirements of its client. InvesTT continued to provide the support iQor needed as a newcomer to T&T, all the way beyond the opening of its doors to meet theSeptember 2015 deadline.
- Public relations campaign – iQor needed to let people know who they were and that it was opening its doors in Trinidad. InvesTT arranged an aggressive roll-out with local media that included a press conference and TV/radio interviews.
- Recruitment – iQor had just about six weeks to on-board at least 60 staff by September. The recruitment process included advertising, applications, shortlisting, interviews, orientation and endless backend preparations. InvesTT worked with iQor’s recruitment team to host a series of job fairs with the assistance of the National Training Agency’s On the Job Training (OJT) Programme. Through these fairs the company was able to satisfy its recruitment targets within the set deadline.
- Regulatory processes – InvesTT’s Investor Services team continues to work with iQor to navigate the regulatory processes associated with securing of work permits, shipping of operational equipment, and other required licenses.
iQor has expressed interest in expanding but this is still in the primary stage.